We've Moved

We've moved - check out the new site at RestoringMyBalance.com

Saturday, September 7, 2013

My Mom's Kitchen



I actually can't remember a whole lot of food from my moms kitchen. 
It's actually kind of sad because I know she was a good cook, 
but its been a really, REALLY long time since she passed away 
and I just can't remember. 

I do remember that her mom made 
Split Pea Soup with a Ham Bone- 
which looked really gross to me but was supposedly really yummy!

I also have memories of sitting on the rolls 
several Thanksgivings in a row :(

I do know that my mom made a really yummy punch 
which I LOVED
and she had a beautiful punch bowl that she used to serve it

When I was sick, 
she made me homemade Tapioca pudding. 
I haven't eaten that since she died- 
it was just never the same when you have to make it yourself :(

So why can't I remember what we ATE??????

Well, one day I had a memory of her BLT Sandwiches. 
She would toast the bread,
and layer the Bacon, Lettuce & Tomatoes on top!  
I probably have eaten one or two in the 31 years since she passed. 

Well I have been craving them something fierce- 
so I caved in and allowed myself some bread- 
WHITE CIABATTA BREAD!
Ciabatta, Bacon, Tomato, Lettuce & Avocado
I pause for the gasps and lectures to cease!! 

I added my own little modern day twist- 
and used Pesto instead of Mayonnaise...

Keep in mind my mom was gone long before 
gluten free, sugar free, and no preservative diets were the norm

I have to say, that for a guilty pleasure, it was WORTH IT! 
Holy Cow that's a case of a HUGE piece of Lettuce!
Like really worth it. 
Like so worth it, I had it a second day in a row 
AND I felt no regret. 

At least no regret until I woke up with swollen fingers-
Back to being Good-
Oh, but it was soooo YUMMY!
A Rare Splurge at Lunch. Aaaahhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment